Monday, July 04, 2005

Beautiful sailing day today! 15 or 20 mph winds all day. Started setting up around 12:30PM, got sailing around 1:30 and didn't stop till 8:30. The usual ramp by the000_0089 Coast Guard station was crowded, so I launched from Perkins Pier instead. Perkins Pier is pretty tight for a sailboat, but I just used the motor to get from there to the boathouse. Note to self: next time watch the friggin power lines!!! (My mast is 25 feet tall). Several other things went wrong too, but I chalk them all up to beginning of the season woes, since its just my second time out this year. Almost commited the motor to000_0087 the deep, but caught it in the nick of time, but nearly capsized in the process. Whew. That was right at the beginning, and things went very smoothly from then until the end, when we beached it at North Beach and found (just like the last time I tried beaching it) that sand in the centerboard makes centerboard impossible to lower, which in turn makes sailing impossible. So we got home via motor, and now the boat sits in the yard, with stuck centerboard. Will work on that next week. Oh, the other thing that went wrong is I slammed the trailer into the boat when backing into the water to retreive the boat. Ack. No serious damage done though. Oh, yeah, there was one other thing. One of the shrouds came off! This easily could have spelled the end of Windfall if it happened at the wrong time, but fortunately it happened while docking when the tension was released from the wire, so the mast didn't come crashing down, and I found a spare pin in the boat and all was well.

But what a day! Sunny, windy, not too hot. 9 people sailed with me (not all at once). Christine, Lisa, Noelle, Cody, George, Rebecca, Christine (different one), Harrison, and Dan. So nine different people have sailed with me so far this summer, not bad considering I've only been out twice so far.

The rest of the pics are here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home